Truck accidents can be harrowing, particularly if you’re driving a car. In addition, if you’re in an accident with a professional truck driver, you may find that he/she is in a big hurry to get on his/her way.
Truckers in Georgia are required to follow the rules of the road. There also are rules of procedure for accidents. Here are some tips for dealing with “professional drivers” if you should have an accident with one:
1. If you are injured, call 911 and seek medical attention first. Also make sure any passengers in your vehicle that may be injured get proper medical treatment, either on the scene, or immediately after leaving the scene.
2. If you are not injured, and if alcohol or drugs are not involved, pull off any major roads to exchange information.
3. Don’t be rushed. Truck drivers, in particular, may want to rush you. They are always on a tight schedule, but if you have an accident with a truck driver, don’t let them rush the situation.
4. Provide your insurance information, and make sure you get information from the truck driver. Also make note of their company name, the license number on the door of the truck, and other identifying information.
5. Use your cell phone to take photos of the driver, the truck, and the damage to your vehicle.
6. Seek medical attention soon after the accident if you experience headaches, sore muscles, a sore back or other injuries. It is possible that you will feel worse the day after an accident than immediately after the accident.
If you are injured in an auto accident or in an accident with a professional truck driver, contact the law offices of David Van Sant. Mr. Van Sant is an Alpharetta accident attorney who works to help victims deal with medical issues, insurance issues, and other drivers.