According to the New Georgia Encyclopedia, there are more than 27,000 attorneys actively practicing in the state. Trial lawyers, attorneys who specialize in representing individuals who have been harmed by the negligence of others, make up a significant portion of that number.
Asking the right questions before you choose an attorney to represent you in a personal injury suit can help you find the right firm to handle your case. ExpertLaw.com has identified a list of 14 questions to ask attorneys as you decide who should represent your interests. While each question is important, the answers to a few of them are particularly critical in selecting the right attorney for your case.
- What are your areas of specialization and have you handled cases like mine in the past?
- Practice history and continuing legal education focus are two factors to consider when deciding if an attorney’s experience matches up with your needs.
- What is your education background and experience? A good education is the foundation for a good attorney, and how he or she describes his or her experience since passing the bar can provide you with insight into whether or not this attorney has the experience to help you.
- Will you be the only attorney who works on the case?
- If not, who else will work on it?
- If I contact your office with questions, when will I get a response and who will respond to me?
- It’s important to know going in to your case exactly who you’ll be working with. Different firms allocate work on individual cases in different ways. Make sure you understand and are comfortable with the way your firm will handle your case.
- Will you take my case on a contingent fee basis?
- What actual costs in addition to fees can I expect to incur?
- Most personal injury cases are handled on contingent fee basis, meaning that your attorney will be compensated with a percentage of your award. Additional costs such as filing fees may be handled separately from traditional fees. This something you will want to clarify as you decide on an attorney representative.
Our Atlanta Law Firm Will Gladly Answer All Your Questions
If you have been injured and are trying to choose an attorney to represent your interests, contact David Van Sant, Atlanta personal injury attorney. Our firm will be happy to answer these or any other question you may have as you make decisions about your representation.