Violence and crime are tragedies wherever they occur, but they feel especially unsettling when they happen at home… or wherever you rest your head at night.
You deserve to know that the place you entrust with your occupancy or residency is doing everything it can to keep you safe.
Under Georgia state law, apartment complexes, motels, hotels, and other residential facilities have a legal duty to maintain safe premises for their residents and guests. That includes providing reasonable security measures in order to prevent foreseeable injury or crime.
At Van Sant Law, we believe that your safety deserves property owners’ heightened attention. If their failure to provide reasonable security caused injury to you or someone you know, a lawyer in our office can help.
Inadequate security in hotels, motels, and apartment complexes often constitutes a violation of civil law. An experienced Atlanta premises liability attorney at Van Sant Law can help you claim compensation for your physical, financial, and emotional damages. You shouldn’t have to pay the price for your landlord or hotelier’s irresponsibility.
Understanding Security-Related Premises Liability in Georgia
Property owners have a duty to protect you from criminal acts that were foreseeable or preventable. This includes many instances of property damage, physical injury, larceny, burglary, robbery, rape, assault, sexual assault, battery, stabbings, shootings, and murder.
Inadequate security in hotels, motels, and apartment complexes can lead to injuries in:
- Parking lots
- Parking decks or garages
- Common areas (lounges, lobbies, swimming pools, etc.)
- Hallways and breezeways
- Sidewalks throughout the complex
- Dog-walking parks
- Your hotel room or apartment
How Can an Atlanta Premises Liability Attorney Help?
Property owners often claim that they already did enough to protect you. They may argue that your injuries were impossible to prevent or foresee. But an experienced attorney at Van Sant Law can work with experts to effectively challenge that defense. Even a slight oversight in any of the following security precautions can create dangerous conditions conducive to crime:
- Poor lighting
- Security cameras (too few, poorly placed, or malfunctioning)
- Lack of fencing
- Broken fencing (or a defective electronic perimeter system)
- Malfunctioning security gates
- Lack of security guards/personnel
- Failure to warn residents about known dangers
- Failure to perform background checks on employees or vendors
- Failure to take action in response to previous injuries or crimes
- Inadequate security systems
- Providing door handles, door locks, door frames, key systems, or call boxes that lend themselves to criminal exploitation
- Failure to respond to complaints about excessive crowds, intoxicated guests, or suspicious activity in the area
At Van Sant Law, we begin with a thorough investigation of the facts. Working with our many resources and allies in the community, we examine criminal pattern data, including police reports and crime grids for the surrounding area.
We also audit the security measures at the time of the crime in order to demonstrate the owner’s negligence. And when it comes time for trial, we work with renowned security professionals to provide expert testimony in your case.
No one deserves to be victimized in the place they’re living or staying as a guest. An Atlanta premises liability attorney will help you recover compensation for the injuries you never deserved.
We serve the greater Atlanta area, Fulton County, and all of Georgia. Turn to us when you need justice.