Injured in a truck crash caused by a negligent truck driver or trucking company? Georgia law allows you to file a truck accident personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit against the responsible party, which enables you to pursue compensation for medical expenses, property damages, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Ready to take legal action? Follow these simple steps:
- Consult an attorney. While you aren't legally required to have an attorney handle your truck crash claim, these accidents are complex. You can certainly benefit from experienced legal representation, especially if your case involves significant injuries and damages.
- Hire an attorney to represent you. Your attorney will send a notice of representation to the at-fault party and their insurer, which lets them know to direct all accident-related to your legal counsel.
- Send a spoliation letter to the trucker or trucking company. Sent by your attorney, this legally-binding letter requires the trucking company to preserve any and all evidence related to your truck crash case.
- Gather essential evidence. Work with your attorney to gather medical records and bills, property damage estimates and invoices, wages statements, and other evidence to support your claim for damages.
- Send a demand letter to the insurance company. This letter includes information on how and where the truck crash happened, as well as documentation of your injuries and losses, the amount of compensation being demanded, and a deadline for the insurer's response.
- Negotiate a settlement. Your attorney will negotiate with the at-fault trucker or trucking company's insurer to reach a fair settlement. A large percentage of personal injury cases are resolved at this phase in the process.
- File a lawsuit in the local court where the truck accident occurred. If a fair agreement can't be reached, your attorney will file a lawsuit on your behalf. The at-fault party—the defendant—is served a copy of the complaint, which contains information similar to what was in the demand letter. Afterwards, both parties begin exchanging information in the discovery phase of the trial.
Let Us Handle Your Truck Crash Claim
At Van Sant Law, we've helped numerous truck crash victims obtain the compensation and justice they deserve. To find out how we can help you with your truck accident case, contact us today to schedule an appointment for a free case consultation.