It’s back to school time, and as personal injury attorneys in Atlanta, we know that means an increase in car accidents.
That makes back to school time the perfect time to refresh our memories about safe driving habits.that can help you avoid an accident.
Traditionally, the weeks surrounding back to school involve more fender benders than most weeks of the summer combined. Here are a few Back to School Driving Reminders:
1. School zones require drastically reduced speeds, and with school in session, all school zones are in effect. SLOW DOWN to 15 mph or the posted speed limit.
2. You should never pass a parked school bus. If a bus is stopped in the road and has extended its “STOP” sign, traffic going BOTH DIRECTIONS must stop to allow children to enter or exit the school bus.
3. During the first few weeks of school, do yourself a favor and give yourself extra time when driving anywhere during school drop off and pick up times. There are literally thousands more cars on the road.
4. Don’t let yourself be distracted by excited kids in your car. Teach your children to ride quietly so that you can concentrate on driving.
5. Always make your children wear seatbelts, and if they are under 12 years old, they need to be in the back seat away from front airbags.
Back to school time is also a good time to establish car pools that reduce the number of vehicles on the road. Fewer cars on the road means fewer accidents, and at the Law Offices of David Van Sant, we know fewer accidents would be a really good thing.